Surveyors Heyawake, now with additional two types of clues and a change in rules. Read.
Shade some cells black such that:
– No two black cells are orthogonally adjacent
– All white cells form a single polyomino
– No line of contiguous white cells span over 2 or more room borders (thick borders)
Additionally, there are two types of clues: in-grid and out-grid. (Names in brackets tell the name of the clues. Yes, they are now canonized.)
– In-grid clues may refer to the number of black squares in the room (region bordered by thick border) (Heyawake) or the number of black squares in the 3×3 square centered at the square containing the clue (Minesweeper). There can be at most 1 Heyawake clue in a region.
– Out-grid clues may refer to the number of black squares in the row/column (Tents) or the length of some line of maximum contiguous white cells in the row/column (Freedom). There can be at most 1 Tents clue in a row/column.
By maximum contiguous white cells I mean that it cannot be extended; it’s bounded by either the grid’s boundary or some black cell.
Note that it’s possible for a region to have clues but none of them are Heyawake, and for a row/column to have clues but none of them are Tents.
As the popularity of the surveyor job skyrockets, new positions appear. As reported in the headlines, two new positions that work from outside the complex are now available; one reports the number of obstructions in the line of sight and the other reports one of the freedoms instead. As usual, they mix together, making it pretty much impossible to tell them apart.
Your task stays the same. Our surveyors have done their jobs dutifully; now your task is to reveal the traps. Rated medium-hard.
A gift for David Millar (thegriddle.net), as the second person to complete Puzzle 25 (linked above). He wanted Surveyors Heyawake with a new twist. I added several (depending on how you define a “twist”). Enjoy!
The next puzzle (okay, one of Puzzle 33-35) will be the gift to the third solver. Yes, Puzzle 25’s offer has ended. Time to make a new offer 😛